Tuesday 11 May 2010

Sartre, i love you, but you're bringing me down

I arrived back on shore. Safe and sound, just as i knew i would (i have been told be a wise woman that my predictions about my life are unusually accurate)

....and it was beautiful and breath-taking and shocking and exhilarating and my GOD i could SEE the huge and dominating arch of blue sky, magenta bursts of petals beginning to drift onto paths, sunlight which flushes their faces peachy-orange and birds wittering in the trees and the sea. Most of all the sea, which can makes you think all of your thoughts and then swallows them up in it's great mass of relentlessly moving salty self. Jack thought my thoughts, and we observed how faced with such majesty and power, you would not be compelled to write a single thing.
(No wonder the south coast has produced so relatively few artists or philosophers of note.)

I am very much in love with the planet, and it's inhabitants who are, it seems increasingly to me, inextricably bound up with one another in some unstoppable cycle or chain whereby all the icons that we throw up are necessarily a product of us all. I EMpathise more than ever before just now, and hence feel my profound responsibilities as a citizen of the world more acutely than ever before.

to be, to feel, to love, to learn, to KNOW, to discover.

look outward. peel your eyes away from your navel, engaging though it may be, take a deep breath and breathe in the world.
perception, illusion, transient, ephemeral, determined, indifferent.... or otherwise!... these characteristics of existence have no bearing upon our actual experience of it and hence, we can embrace it, or live permanently in a cocoon of claustrophobic inertia.

No comments:

Post a Comment